Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Light invaded my world. Lying there sleeping dreaming of a place soft and fuzzy and this light would dare to interrupt me. Wait the light has been shining on my face for a while. Then what invaded my sleep?


Loud pounding at my front door. So I slowly got up draped with the blanket like a king going out to meet his court. I stumbled through my little apartment trying to separate the real world from the hazy dreamland that still haunted my eyes.


`Wait a second!’ my voice sounded a little hoarse but hopefully that will stop the pounding. As I got closer to the door I saw the screen was open and there was the top of a brown hat through the door window. I tried to turn it open but the deadbolt stopped my attempt. Ug why can’t people stop by during the evening. Why so early in the morning. I glanced over to the clock while I turned the deadbolt.

`11:24AM’ the clock said sitting on top of a bookshelf safely out of my immediate reach.. Daring me to challenge its timekeeping abilities.

The door opened slowly as I poked my head through to see who would visit at such an hour. On my doorstep I saw a young man dressed up in all brown and a logo on his chest that said, `UPS’

`Delivery for Matthew Browski.’ He looked at me and in his eyes I could tell that he honestly did not care if I was that person or not. He just wanted to leave the package somewhere so he could get on with his day.

`Braunski, That is me.’ I hated when people didn’t bother to try and pronounce my name correctly. Its not that difficult. Before I could ponder it any further he shoved a clipboard into my hands with one of his fingers pointing to a small line with signature written underneath it. I quickly signed and the clipboard was replaced with the package. It was rather heavy and I almost dropped it. I was going to give out a thanks but the guy was already gone. Masterful he was in his craft of appearing, delivering, and disappearing. I closed the door and threw the deadbolt back into place. Set the package on the couch and headed back to dreamland.

Hours and days passed by in dreamland. Where time is meaningless. What it was all about I do not know but it was good because I woke up again rested and ready to start my day. After my morning ritual I started heading out and noticed the package sitting on the couch. I guess I can open it at work and see what it is there. I grabbed the package and glanced again at the clock to note it said 2:00PM. At times I swear the bar that lists the various radio frequencies curves slightly so it smiles all the time at me.

‘Someday Mr. Time you will get what’s coming to you!’ I sent out the challenge and it did not respond for a few seconds. Then it threw back its gauntlet.


Ug if I don’t hurry I will be late to work. I left the house locked and hurried down to the bus stop. Grabbed Local 14 and 20 minutes later arrived at work.

Work was a club where people came to forget their past. Quite a few people worked here because they were trying to start a new and this place did not care about where you came from. It cared if you showed up on time and if you did not steal from it. It was an ok job as I was a bartender and the pay was decent. However I was different from everyone else there. Everyone there was there to escape their past either as a customer or as an employee trying to get back on their feet. I have no past though. 3 years ago I woke up in a hospital room. For two months my world was white and soft with cute little nurses running around fetching me things. I had been apparently driving and was involved in a crash. Then I had staggered into this club where someone dialed 911 for me. While I was in the hospital I was diagnosed with amnesia. The doctors said there was a chance I would recover completely but over the years and visits to my psychiatrist it was determined part of my psyche did not want to be recovered? Something to do with repressed memories or something. It was a waste of money so I quite going. The owner of the club visited once in a while and eventually we became friends. So she hired me as a bartender. From what I heard from family and friends I used to work at a processing plant for computer coders. None of my old friends seemed happy about their job so I never went back there. Though what would I do in front of a computer I have no clue. I doubt I could even type more than 10 words per minute. I wonder if I rambled before? Since the accident I haven’t really kept in touch with my old friends. They seemed like complete strangers and I wonder what was it that I saw or why they hung out with me? Most of them were depressed and moped around filling their lives with useless activities like video games. Why sit inside a house all day when you can go out and experience the world. Needless to say they would always say no to activities I recommended so I stopped asking.

I threw my stuff in my locker and got dressed in my work clothes. No time to daydream today as Tuesdays were often busy because of the rotary club would stop by after their meeting. Hopefully tips go well tonight perhaps I will ask Jessica out for a movie afterwards.

No comments: